Monday, 21 January 2013

Making a half hat pattern

For me the last few weeks have been somewhat of a disaster. My eldest spent the entire Christmas week in hospital, and myself and the rest of the family stayed sober to travel back and forth twice a day. But all is well with him now, and back to full health.

Aside from ill health, the weather has meant a slow down to most things. Freezing cold days (-3c at the moment) and high humidity mean my day job is at a stand still. The builders who are constructing my new kitchen extension are also at a stand getting back to hats seemed my best option. Particularly as I have a stand at a Vintage fair in just a few weeks!

I found this picture via the web, and although no pattern was available I thought I would try and make the half hat pictured on the right hand side

I then measured out a pattern on grid paper, I guessed from the picture that the hat had to reach at least 7 inches across the crown.

I cut the pattern out in stiff iron on buckram and stretch velour. These were ironed together and then the darts sewn in each side. I then wired the entire edge. This is it so far, and although it sits on a small mannequin, I think I may have to make it slightly smaller next time.

I will continue with this one, and I am planning to decorate the edge with beads and sequins. I will post again when it is finished.

1 comment:

  1. It's beautiful! I can't wait to see the final product!